[FIX] Matlab 2014a looks blurry on your Mac with Retina Display?
Matlab R2014a looks blurry on your Mac with Retina Display. This is because Matlab versions after 2013a use their own builtin Java instead the one that comes bundled with Apple’s OSX. Even though Mathworks is aware of that problem since 2013b they still did not fix it. Luckily there is an easy solution!
- Download and install the new JAVA JRE: Java.com
- reboot (possibly you can skip this)
- Now download my starting app which starts Matlab with the new JAVA JRE
Alternative: create an AppleScript with this code and save it as app. Note that all the code needs to be in one line.
- Use the app every time you want to start Matlab. You can simply drag it to your dock
- Mirror for the app download: Uploaded
- the download is over 1mb because of the bundled Matlab Icon
- You can check the Java version Matlab is using by typing the command: version -java
- Note that the paths have to match in my example I used the default paths which are as following:
JAVA: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home\
- Inspiration for this post
- Thanks to user feedback I realized that my wordpress theme destroys the code so I moved it to pastebin now
- feel free to use my amazon affiliate link to express your feelings of eternal gratitude :)